Start the new year off right with this delicious vegan dish. Tempeh is a great source of protein that has more texture than tofu. Make your first move in 2014 your best move and get this year off on the right foot with your fitness and weight loss goals!
Paprika Roasted Tempeh and Veggies
- 1 tablespoon expeller-pressed canola oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 16 ounces tempeh, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound (about 3 cups) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped
In a medium bowl, combine oil, paprika, cumin, salt, cayenne, garlic and vinegar, and stir until combined. Cut tempeh slices into 1-inch squares and then halve the squares to create bite-size triangles. Add tempeh and onion to the bowl, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours and up to 1 day.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F. Transfer tempeh, onion and any marinade from the bowl to a large oiled roasting pan. Add peppers and Brussels sprouts, and toss to combine. Cover the pan with foil and roast 25 minutes. Uncover and roast until vegetables are browned and tender, about 20 minutes more.