As we wean ourselves from all the holiday treats that were plentiful throughout December, we still tend to crave comfort foods even despite our weight loss goals. The trick is to feed those cravings with lower calorie meals that soothe the soul. Enjoy this plant-based black bean chili (with or without the meat) and top it with onions, Greek yogurt or low fat cheese to keep it light.
reblogged from jeanette’s healthy living
Slow Cooker Black Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground toasted cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 7 cups cooked black beans (1 pound dried beans, cooked)
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped up in food processor
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup bean cooking liquid or 1 chicken broth
- Chopped avocado, minced scallions, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add ground turkey and cook until browned and cooked through. Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, ancho chili powder, and chipotle chili powder. Stir well and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add black beans, tomatoes, bean cooking liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour chili into a crockpot and cook on low 6 hours to develop flavors. Alternatively, continue cooking chili on the stovetop on low heat for 1 hour.