By Jonathan Aluzas
Last month was “Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and this is a topic we can’t spend enough time on.? At this point in the game we ALL know someone who, one way or another, as been impacted by breast cancer.? Although there is a genetic component, research is suggesting that breast cancer risk can be reduced by up to 38% by making healthy lifestyle choices regarding nutrition and exercise.
So, Ladies, here’s a quick checklist on how to reduce your risk of breast cancer:
- Maintain a healthy weight – A BMI of less than 25 (Being overweight is strongly associated with the risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Adult weight gain of 22-44 pounds is associated with a 50% greater risk and a weight gain above 45 pounds is associated with an 87% increased risk.)
- Exercise regularly – 30 minutes or more 5 times per week.? EVERY WEEK!
- Eat a plant-based diet with an emphasis on beans, berries, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts), dark leafy green vegetables (spinach, kale, chard, romaine, mustard greens), flaxseed, garlic, grapes/grape juice, green tea, citrus, soy, tomatoes and whole grains.
- Limit alcohol to ONE DRINK PER DAY!? Any more than that may raise your risk by 20 – 25%.
- Don’t smoke, for God’s sake!
- Avoid white flour, white rice, white sugar and products that contain them.
Arena Fitness is a Personal Training and Group Exercise facility in Encino, California.