I’m back from my stay-cation and am yearning to cleanse my system from all the meat and wine I consumed this past week. This recipe supports clean eating — plus it’s so quick and easy! It’s vegan AND high in protein, perfect for fueling your fitness journey. Just throw everything in the crockpot, go to work, and come home to a delicious meal waiting for you. It’s almost as if your significant other surprised you with dinner as you walked through the door… Minus the flowers.
Slow Cooker Lentil-Quinoa Taco Filling
- 1/4 cup (48 g) brown lentils
- 1/4 cup (48 g) beluga lentils or brown lentils
- 1/4 cup (43 g) quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 soft or hard corn taco shells (use gluten-free shells to make this gluten-free and use fat free soft taco shells to keep it oil-free)
Add all the ingredients except the salt, pepper, and taco shells to the 1 1/2- to 2-quart slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Before serving, add salt and pepper. Taste and adjust any of the seasonings as needed.
Serve in taco shells with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, or any of your other favorite taco toppings.
per ½-cup (100 g) serving (without taco shell): 49.3 calories; 0.5 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 2.6 g protein; 8.8 g carbohydrate; 1.8 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol
yield: about 6 tacos
prep time: 15 minutes
cooking time: 7 to 9 hours
reblogged from healthy slow cooking